20090104

About Peggy Simpson - Survivor

My name is Peggy Simpson and I am 67 years old. I love spending time with my family and friends. I enjoy cooking, fishing, gardening and competitive card playing—especially poker. Volunteering at the local Main Street Mission is my way of giving back to the community. My wonderful husband of 43 years was Phil Simpson. He passed away of leukemia in 2007. I have a son named Michael who lives in Banner Elk, NC; a daughter Ashley and her husband Nick and their newborn daughter Stella who live in New Orleans, LA.

My journey with the dreaded breast cancer began in 1966 when my mother found a large mass in her breast. A radical mastectomy with lymph node removal was performed. The standard of care for my mother at that time was cobalt treatments that did traumatic damage to other parts of her body. She fought a brave battle for almost two years. Shortly after her death chemotherapy became available.

Knowing my medical history concerning breast cancer I regularly had mammograms. In 2001 I went in for my routine mammogram, not expecting it to be anything but normal. You guessed it------the news was not good. Lumpectomy and lymph node removal was performed followed by 33 radiation treatments. Today, eight years later, I am cancer free! I owe my life to MAMMOGRAPHY, excellent medical care, and a lot of prayerful family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Peggy,
    Congratulations on being a survivor. See you in September at B9!
    xo,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete